Want proof that I'm getting older and stupider? It's not the couple of silver hairs that are popping up in my sideburns. It's the big daggers and tiny shards of glass I spent half an hour picking out of the sink last night.
I baked some pork chops, and as someone who likes to clean dishes as I go along preparing a meal when I no longer need them, I figured I'd give the Pyrex dish I used a quick soak so cleaning it would be easy after I ate.
As soon as the tap water hit that dish, CRACK. The whole thing shattered and spontaneously combusted before my eyes! Thankfully there was no blood, but man, was it a pain fishing little pieces of glass out of the deep dark of the garbage disposal.
Now, I got a "D" in high school physics. Clearly the brass at Frank didn't hire me for my scientific expertise. If this exploding-dish trick has ever happened to you, it's because of a phenomenon called "thermal shock."
Let the below article be a warning to you next time you just can't wait to clean that Pyrex dish! --Leif Erickson